Are you interested in a more positive online experience? Have you been worried about your children and teens in the online space? In this episode, we dive into the power of social media, and our online communities, on teens and adults, on our socialization, mental health, and self-worth.
In this episode, I talk with Malorie Bournazian & Kim Karr, Lead Intern + Co-Founder of #ICanHelp, an organization focused on empowering teens with a commonsense approach and not just protecting them. As an organization that was started by educators who experienced a rapid increase in social media use and the stress and anxiety that negative online behavior puts on school cultures. Today, we discuss how to turn our online experience into a positive one, and how to remove the toxicity and negativity we can often face online. We dive into why social media can cause anxiety and depression, but also some of the really good things that can be done online, and allow us to be even better.
Questions I asked:
- How did you start I Can Help: Digital For Good?
- What if someone that follows me is just being negative?
- Can we have an open dialog on social media?
- What are your tips to dealing with negative people online who are clients?
- How do we get really bad accounts or people off social media?
- Can you remove reviews from your profile or business if they are fake, or spam?
- Malorie, can you tell us about your project which caused you to win the #DigitalForGood award?
- What got you into that topic for your project?
- How is teen suicide tied into social media?
- Can you tell us more ways we can be a solution to the problem?
- How can people help your organization?
- What do you say to people who think, “not one will listen to me due to my age?”
- Do you have any stories about bullying?
- How can people connect with you?
- Spam on social media.
- Dealing with negativity online.
- Social Media comparison.
- mental health online.
- Online bullying.
- Finding positive ways to use social media.
- Teen suicide.
- Victor or Victim?
- Be part of the change.
Quotes from the show:
- “It’s more about education, and that’s when we started educating people about social media use.” @icanhelp @SisterhoodSweat
- “There’s so many cool things that students are doing online, it’s not only just negativity.” @icanhelp @SisterhoodSweat
- “I saw the connection between human trafficking and social media.” @icanhelp @SisterhoodSweat
- “Seeing someone my age, who came from the same background deal with human trafficking, made me realize how many people are vulnerable.” @icanhelp @SisterhoodSweat
- “Suicide is the #2 cause of death for 10-20 year olds.” @icanhelp @SisterhoodSweat
How you can stay in touch with Kim and Malorie:
How you can stay in touch with Linda:
"Proud Sponsors of the Sisterhood of S.W.E.A.T"
My daily energy stems from mushrooms... mushroom coffee that is!
- Have you checked out Four Sigmatic yet? If you want a coffee that contains superfoods and adaptogens like rhodiola, eleuthero, and schisandra to help you live a healthier, more enhanced life, then you need Four Sigmatic mushroom coffee in your daily routine! Check out their products here and be sure to let me know what you think of it!